Sunday, September 9, 2012

Harris William - The Namesake(s)

As with our first pregnancy, Paul & I tossed some name ideas around from the start of this pregnancy.  We were able to come up with a few girl names that we liked, but we struggled with boy names.  Well, it turns out that we are having a boy!  So we really had to start thinking.

Again, we talked with our family members, because we hoped to have a family name.  Some of the male names in the family were a bit too odd, old-fashioned, or even popular for us though.  One morning Paul's parents were visiting & his Mom mentioned the name Harris.  I can't believe we hadn't thought of it before!  After they left, I mentioned the name "Harris William" to Paul.  We both were happy with it right away.  Of course we slept on it for a few days to be sure, but our minds did not change.  Harris William Markham it is!  We love this name because it is a family name & it is not too popular.  


Harris comes from Paul's side of the family.  His grandad was named Thomas Harris Markham.  He was a great man that I was also lucky enough to know also.  So I am so happy that we can name our son after him.  William comes from my mom's side of the family.  William was my mom's grandfather (paternal), so he was my great grandfather.  William was also the name of my Papa's brother, my great uncle, William Odell Birge. 

Below you will see some pictures of Paul's grandfather, Thomas Harris Markham; my great grandfather, William Birge; & my great uncle, William Odell Birge.


Thomas Harris Markham
Thomas Harris Markham
Thomas Harris Markham
William Birge & wife Bertie Birge
William Odell Birge
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment