Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Little Behind - But "We're Pregnant!"

I found out that I was pregnant on August 12, 2010.  It was a Thursday night & I was pretty tired after work, so I decided to stay home from Roller Derby practice.  Paul & I had been trying to get pregnant for the first time.  I was so anxious that I had already taken one pregnancy test, so I honestly didn't think I was actually pregnant yet.  But, Paul left to head to derby (he is filming a documentary on us), & I decided to take a test again anyway.  Pretty much the second he left, I took the test.  To my surprise, this is what it said:


I would have really liked to tell Paul in a creative way or even in person!  :)  But, I was so excited & in tears, so I had to call him immediately!  His response was, "already?!"  I think he was in big time shock!  Because I was supposed to skate in a bout on the coming Saturday, Paul had to go ahead & tell my coach, so he could find a replacement.  I wish I could have been there to see it.  I think both of them were in complete shock!  My coach didn't know we were trying & honestly, Paul & I thought it would take some time & I would have a few more roller derby bouts in me!  I told Kai, after I talked to Paul, that he was going to be a big brother.  I think he was in shock also:


We don't get the Daily News, so this was the only paper I could find to document the date:


Since I play roller derby, my circumstances caused my derby team to find out that I was pregnant very early on.  We also went ahead & told our parents, because we wanted them to be the first to know.  It made us really nervous with things being so early, but we knew we would have a support system if something happened.

We are very fortunate that things have gone well.  I am now almost 22 weeks pregnant.  We have heard the heartbeat, seen the baby a couple of times through ultrasound, & we even know the gender of Tiny Markham.  We will be sharing this with our family & friends at Christmas.  We wanted to make it more special, since we didn't do anything special when we found out we were expecting.  Here is a video of Tiny Markham's heartbeat, the second time we heard it.  It went from 162 beats per minute at 11 weeks to about 148 beats per minute at 15 weeks. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment